Hi! At Wine Club Reviews we review companies that offer wine club subscriptions and sell wine gifts. This is a review of WineGlobe.
Last Updated: 2/24/2011
What to Expect from WineGlobe Wine Clubs
An eclectic selection of International wines you've never heard of but will most likely enjoy. These are no-frills wine clubs but we think that's because these people LOVE wine and the rest of the normal benefits are just distractions from the amazing wine.
Why we're of two minds on the WineGlobe Wine Clubs...
There are some things we really love:
- It's run by a wine store that has an offline location and provides additional service beyond just selling wine (think corporate tasting events and wine courses)
- They have an incredible selection of International wines. A lot of the wine clubs we see out there are California-centric—that's not a bad thing and we LOVE California wines here. Not everyone feels about California wines the way we do though, and there IS a whole world of wine that comes from other places like, you know, France and Italy and Germany and Australia and New Zealand and South Africa... and even Canada!
There are some things we don't love so much:
- For a company with a roster full of ecommerce product managers and software engineers, the website's pretty hard to use. The founders' pedigrees really don't matter, but the fact that it's nearly impossible to understand how the wine clubs are priced until you put the items in the cart is a big problem.
- There isn't an allocation for reorders on premium wine clubs and there isn't a reorder discount for value wine clubs. One reason people join wine clubs is to discover new wines and to get value for being a "member." This goes against that aspect of wine club membership.
- There's no record of previous wine shipments. We'd like to know what's been sent in the past, both to understand how wines are selected for shipments and to ensure we're getting the value we expect.
WineGlobe Ships Wine to:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Dist of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming